Intern Product development Plant-based
All 22,000 employees at FrieslandCampina share a single passion: Nourishing by Nature. With our brands - over 30 - we reach millions of people in more than 100 countries. FrieslandCampina consists of a number of business groups and operating companies with offices all around the world. The Plant-based development team, part of our Food & Beverage business group, is located in our Innovation Centre in Wageningen (The Netherlands). You are part of a European team of ~40 colleagues. Within the plant-based development team we are focusing on Family Nutrition for the European business to consumer market.
Our main focus is on the development of healthy, nourishing, and indulgent products, like (high protein) yoghurt, drinking yoghurt, ambient drinks, greek style yoghurt, and quark. We develop products for brands like Optimel, Campina, Mona, Vifit as well as for Private Label. Important aspects in product development is to develop palatable products with great taste and texture, while taking the nutritional profile, consumer trends, and sustainability into account.
As an intern in our team you will gain practical experience in an R&D organization and develop skills and competences of a product developer. The assigned activities will be diverse and next to your own specific assignment, you will support the team on product development activities.
What we ask
To be successful in this position, you are/have:
- Final years of relevant MSc or BSc study, e.g. Food Technology, with good foundation of food technology and food ingredients, and basic knowledge of dairy technology and processes; sensory and statistic knowledge are preferred.
- Skillful communicator within R&D and towards colleagues, in English language, both oral and written;
- Independent project planning and organizational skills;
- Flexible, creative, and have a “can do” mentality;
- Passion to work in the lab and pilot plant and to support the product developers
- Ambition to pursue a future career in product development.
What we offer
We offer an interesting and challenging internship position, providing you the opportunity to develop yourself in your work field. You can count on sufficient professional supervision and a reasonable internship allowance.
The internship activities will focus on the use of plant based materials for the development of dairy alternatives. During the internship you will investigating the differences between dairy based products and products with alternative protein sources. Sustainability is an important aspect in this, as well as the nutritional value and palatability of the product. You will investigate the development of such products in relation to processing conditions, physical chemical characteristics, and sensory perception.
Your overall activities in our team consists of:
- Collect information about all work done so far on the topic and write a research proposal
- Set up and assist in lab and pilot plant trials to test different recipes and processing parameters
- Plan and perform physical, chemical analyses and sensory analyses on the developed products
- Interpret and present results to the project team and other relevant stakeholders
- Write a final report
For thousands of people, we are more than just a dairy company: to our farmers, our employees, the communities we serve, the businesses we work with and the people to whom we bring happiness, FrieslandCampina means something more. For them it’s not just about what we do, but who we are.
We value talented people from any background who want to contribute to something bigger than themselves. We encourage all of our 22,000 employees to make decisions that benefit our entire company. At FrieslandCampina we own our own career and act accordingly. We trust you to make a difference in your job and influence the bigger picture. Working at FrieslandCampina means you are contributing to a better world.